I started Boudist in 2003, not knowing what it would become. I still don’t.
It’s primarily a place for me to share photos i’ve taken and links that i find interesting. It evolves as i do.
In 2003 i was a web designer with a passing interest in photography. In the intervening years that interest has grown into a full blown obsession and a full-time photography career.
My main job is Chief Photographer for Time Out Sydney. While i post photos i take for work, this site isn’t endorsed or affiliated with Time Out.
I’m available for freelance work.
I live in Annandale, Sydney, Australia.
I look like the guy in these photos.
I love taking pictures. I’ve been doing it since i was a kid but it’s not something i took seriously until i bought my first digital camera. That was just a simple Canon Ixus V, but i used it almost every day, snapping ordinary things in my life.
I love seeing live music so would take my camera along and shoot pictures from the crowd.
I upgraded to a Canon 350D in March 2005 on a trip to Austin for SXSW. I wangled myself a media pass and shot dozens of gigs. SPIN and Rolling Stone magazine found some of my SXSW photos online and asked to publish them.
I’ve since been published again in SPIN and Rolling Stone plus other press including NME, Vanity Fair, The Sydney Morning Herald, Dazed and Confused, Nylon and dozens more. I used to work a lot for Drum Mediaand Mess and Noise.
Organisations i’ve been commissioned by include Sydney Festival, Foxtel, Vivid Sydney, EMI, Laneway Festival, General Pants, Sydney Opera House, MTV, University of Sydney and many more.
I used to syndicate my photos through Retna.
My photography gear
The most common question i get asked is “what camera do you use?” I don’t think it matters a great deal, but if you’re curious, this is what i use.
- Canon 5D
- Canon 5D Mark II
- Tamron 14mm f2.8
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II
- Canon 50mm f1.4
- Canon 85mm f1.8
- Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS
- Canon Speedlite 580ex
- Canon Speedlite 580ex II
- Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home
- Crumpler Cork and Fork
The Tech Specs
Hosting is by Dreamhost.
You can also find me at:
Gallery shows, awards and conference speaking
- Chosen as one the Australian music industry’s Top 30 Under 30 by The Music Network, 2010
- Shortlisted in the Head On Portrait Prize, 2010
- Covers, an exhibition of music magazine covers at Mart Gallery, Sydney, 2010
- On the judging panel for the Festival Awards Photo Award, 2009
- Finalist in the QANTAS Spirit of Youth Awards, 2009
- Exhibited at the Getty Images Gallery Flickr Collection, London, 2009
- Named as a Creative Catalyst by Creative Sydney, 2009
- Group exhibition with Greedy Hen and Kareena Zerefos at The Wall, Sydney, 2009
- Keynote speaker with Tony Mott at UnderExposed, Brisbane, 2009
- Semi-finalist in the Moran Portrait Prize, Australia, 2008
- If Something Has to Change at Shotgun Space, Los Angeles, 2007
- Speaker at Symposia, Wagga Wagga, 2007
- Purple Sneakers party photos at China Heights, Sydney, 2007
- Speaker at Sound Summit, Newcastle, 2006
- 3 Songs. No Flash. at China Heights, Sydney, 2006
- 5 photos explained in Pedestrian, 2010
- The Accidental Magician in Side Street Sydney, 2010
- Interview and slideshow in The Vine, 2009
- Inspiration key to our artscape’s architects in Sydney Morning Herald, 2009
- A profile with Cybele Malinowski in Kluster. 2009
- A tv appearance on Cybershack. 2009
- An interview with me at Design Federation. 2008
- Concert Photography Masterclass, Digital Photographer Magazine. 2007
- An interview with me at JPG Magazine. 2006
- A profile on a Photoblogger, Telstra’s ‘Now We Are Talking‘. 2006
- Heroes of Social Networking, PC Mag. 2006